Help & FAQ

Go here to learn more about your site, view video tutorials and find answers to frequently asked questions.

Holywell Town Football Club


Website last updated: 16 Jul, 2014 @ 12:37

Match Report


Holywell Town

Steve Thomas (1)

Wed 02 Mar 2011

Attendance: 125




Denbigh Town

Lock Stock Welsh Alliance League
Wednesday 2nd March 2011
Holywell Town 1 -2 Denbigh Town

Holywell Town, buoyed by Saturday’s 4-0 win over Barmouth & Dyffryn United went into tonight’s game full of confidence and were looking for their 5th straight win on the bounce.

As the game kicked off at a cold and frosty Halkyn Road, the first chance of the evening fell to Denbigh Town. The ball fell to the feet of Tom Sharples, who controlled well but could only watch as his shot flew over the bar. 5 minutes later, another chance fell to Dafydd Jones of Denbigh and his shot also flew over the bar. A let off for Holywell Town and that seemed to spur the Wellmen to life as the next chance fell Holywell’s way.

Steve Thomas fed the ball through to Sam Jones, and his cross was just a bit too high for the oncoming Wayne Edwards to head home. Denbigh then went up the other end of the field and took the lead through Ian Evans who ended up tapping the ball in at the near post after the ball was knocked through the box.

The goal was deserved given the chances that Denbigh had carved out but Town had the opportunity to level the scores a couple of minutes later. Steve Thomas ran at the Denbigh defence and was brought down just outside the box by Llion Roberts. Thomas received treatment for the knock and Sam Jones stepped up to take the kick. His shot seemed to be heading for the right hand side of the goal and Denbigh’s keeper, Ashley Crossthwaite, flew across the goal to knock the ball out for a corner.

Further chances fell to Holywell with Wayne Edwards and Sam Jones both going close. Another attack on 27 minutes brought out a great save by Crossthwaite again as Adam Price ran at the Denbigh defence and his little chip fell to Edwards who laid it off to John Hasledin who’s shot was excellently saved by Denbigh’s keeper. Denbigh’s Paul Edwards had to watch as Price once again beat his marker. His cross was a fraction to forward for Edwards who was deemed to be offside.

The deserved equaliser came on 43 minutes through Holywell’s Steve Thomas. From a Wayne Edwards corner, the ball flew into the box, and from the resulting goal mouth scramble, Thomas was at hand to poke the ball home and the goal was no more than the Wellmen deserved.

The second half opened brightly for the visitiors who had a chance within the first few minutes as a slight scramble inside the Holywell goal area saw the ball cleared to safety by Holywell’s Ashley Durham. A few minutes later, Holywell went up the other end and Tony Roebuck fed the ball to Sam Jones, and he crossed the ball towards Roebuck at the far post but it was just in-front of him and he was unable to connect with the ball.

On 68 minutes, Wayne Edwards was brought down by the Denbigh Defender on the edge of the box. Edwards picked himself up to take the resulting free kick, and his curling shot was brilliantly tipped over by Crossthwaite.

The next clear chance fell to Denbigh as Dafydd roberts’ cross fell kindly to Ian Evans, but his first time volley was excellently blocked by Walsh in the Holywell goal.

The game seemed to be heading for a draw but Denbigh had other ideas as Denbigh scored a winner with 86 minutes on the clock. Another pass saw Craig Wilkinson collect the ball before shooting towards Walsh who dived to save the ball, but could only look as his save hit the post before nestling in the back of the net. On the stroke of full time, the referee demanded a drop ball inside the Denbigh Town penalty area and ball ended up at the feet of Ashely Durham, who’s first time effort sailed over the bar. This was to be Holywell’s last chance as the referee blew his whistle a short time later and the bragging rights were Denbigh Town’s! This was harsh on the Wellmen as their performance deserved more out of the game but with the Barritt Cup game this Saturday at Halkyn Road, Holywell will be looking to put one over the opposition to make amends for this defeat.

Town did unfortunately lose Steve Thomas at half time as the knock on his ankle sustained in the first half was giving him grief and was in a lot of pain so for a safety precaution he was taken off and will now be a injury doubt for Saturday.

Starting line up

  • David Walsh

  • Daniel Henley

  • Ryan Davies

  • Ashley Durham

  • Gareth Thomas

  • Johnny Haseldin

  • Anthony Roebuck

  • Adam Price

  • Wayne Edwards

  • Sam Jones

  • Steve Thomas


  • Brett Jones

  • Paul Williams

  • Simon Holloway

  • Eliott Davies

  • Paul Turner

Get directions:
    No information available.
No information available.