- About Us
- The Teams
- The Match
Website last updated: 29 Mar, 2015 @ 15:05
Undy A.F.C was formed in 1947 by Mr. Joe Champion, Mr Lambert Bird, Mr. Harry Hodges and others. Unfortunately in 1962 the club was disbanded, due to lack of support. During the period between 1947 and 1962 the Argus Shield was won 3 times, plus the Benevolent Cup.
The changing facilities were in Undy Church Hall, using a tin bath for washing. Club colours at that time were black and white
1970 saw the reformation of the club, the driving force behind this, amongst others were Mr. John King, Mr. Percy Pope, Mr. Malcolm Pope, our president Mr. J.Smith, and the tote organizer Mr. Bob Scrivens, the tote keeping the club on a firm financial setting for more than 10 years, the Juniors being led by Mr. Bernard Smith, Mr. Alf Little and others.
Honours achieved by the club since being reformed include the Gwent County Motors Cup,the East Gwent Benevolent Cup, the Watkins Shield and the Argus Shield, and with a continual improvement of our first team, now in 2011 Gwent County 1st Division champions, our sights are now firmly set on the new challenge in Welsh league division 3 next season.
From 1970 to 1981 Undy Football Club operated without any team managers, a selection committee picked the teams every week. The first manager was taken on in 1981. The manager's name was Mr. Dave Siegal
New changing facilities were built on the playing fields in 1974, these making the tin bath at the church hall redundant.
In 1992, the football club poured its first pint of beer, by obtaining its license to sell alcohol
1996 saw the project to extend the clubhouse, providing us with new changing facilities, and more recently in 2005 the development of our new pitch.
Players who have played for Undy, that have gone on to play professionally include Mr. Colin Rocky Hudson, Mr. Harry Harris, Mr. Mike Dowler and Mr. Rhys Wilmot
Since the reformation of the football club in the early 1970s, there has been a steady growth in membership, resulting in Undy Athletic now being able to boast, a junior section of 15 teams and a senior section of 3 teams, which equates to approximately 350 too 400 players in total, most probably one of the strongest clubs in South Wales